Other places to find help

Please note: these resources and organizations are not created or officially endorsed by the ABA or Free Legal Answers. We encourage you to conduct your own research to find resources and organizations to help you as necessary.

Find resources for the following: 

If you have a different state-specific civil legal question, such as a family law or housing question, please visit the main ABA Free Legal Answers website and choose your state.


Find Immigration Legal Resources Near You:

Are you looking for information for someone in immigration detention?

  • Call the American Bar Association Detention and LOP Information Line at 202-442-3363.
    • The ABA information line provides pro se assistance, not legal representation.
    • Individuals in detention can call the information line for free by pressing 2150# from inside the detention center.

Are you are trying to locate someone who is detained by ICE?

  • Use the ICE Detainee Locator
    • You will need the person’s nine-digit A# and country of birth or the person’s full name, date of birth, and country of origin.

To confirm your next hearing date or the status of your case:

  • Call 1-800-898-7180 and enter your A# when prompted (information available in English and Spanish)
  • Go online (you will need your A#)

If you are looking for the address and contact information of an immigration court or the Board of Immigration Appeals:

For information on the procedures followed by the immigration courts and the Board of Immigration Appeals:

Do you need to fill out a form for your court case or appeal?

For questions about a case with U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS):

*You will need your A# and/or receipt number for your case when you call or go online.

To find the current versions of all USCIS forms and frequently asked questions about forms:

If you believe your application with USCIS is taking longer than it should to process:

If you are an active duty member of the military or a veteran:

Are you looking for help with a particular type of case?

  • Battered or abused spouses/children, trafficking victims, other gender-based violence:


If you are a veteran in crisis, please contact the Veterans Crisis Line at 988 and press 1, OR text 838255. You may also visit VeteransCrisisLine.net for more information.

Find Local VA Resources

Legal Aid Programs and Resources for Veterans

Find programs that give free legal help and resources. Eligibility for free legal representation may depend on your income.

  • ABA Home Front - Search the state-by-state directory to find local legal aid and pro bono programs. 

If you need to hire an attorney, find local help at:

If you’re an active-duty servicemember, consider these programs for free legal help:

  • ABA Military Pro Bono Project – This program accepts case referrals from military attorneys on behalf of junior-enlisted, active-duty military personnel facing civil legal issues, and it works to place these cases with pro bono attorneys.
  • AILA MAP – The American Immigration Lawyers Association Military Assistance Program (MAP) provides pro bono immigration assistance to active-duty servicemembers, recent veterans, and their families.

For help with employment-related issues:

Need help with food, clothing, shelter, medicine or other services?